Welcome to the Southtowns! Just south of the City of Buffalo, thriving communities exist that offer a variety of business services, entertainment, and outdoor fun all year long. In just minutes you can live it up city-style or relax and enjoy a more rural environment. Take advantage of all we have to offer from Boutique shopping, food and drink innovations, major festivals, bike and fitness trails, nature walks and Lakefront beach activities. Our communities are at the center of it all. Check it all out in the 2020-2021 Discover the WNY Region!
Lake Erie Beaches
All along Lake Erie from Buffalo to Angola there are a variety of beaches for swimming, boat access, rentals, and more. The Hamburg Beach Town Park is a Hamburg resident-only local get-a-way located on Lakeshore Rd. Residents need to purchase resident passes to park in the beach lot and visitors can purchase day passes. Contact Hamburg Department of Town Recreation at 716-646-5145. Public beaches include Woodlawn Beach State Park & Sole (in Blasdell), Erie County Wendt Beach Park (Derby), and Bennett Beach (Angola). Amenities vary with each beach, but you can find things like eateries, kayaking, paddle boarding, boating, activities for all, or just long walks along massive Lake Erie while watching the sunset. #lakelife
The Hamburg Fairgrounds
Hamburg also hosts the annual Erie County Fair – one of the largest county fairs in the country. This ten-day event is fun for families and features a massive variety of unique foods, rides and attractions for all to enjoy. Besides the Erie County Fair, there are a variety of shows, festivals, and artisan fairs throughout the entire year on the grounds. Check out their website for more information on all the happenings at the Fairgrounds.
The fairgrounds provide year-round fun with the Hamburg Gaming and the Buffalo Raceway open all year. Managed by the Erie County Agricultural Society, these venues specialize in grandstand entertainment and rides, have over 950 slot machines, regularly host live concerts and shows, feature award-winning restaurants and premier live harness tracks and racing. These spectacular venues are a must-visit!
Annual Festivals, Events, & Things To Do
Multiple community organizations and businesses work to continuously offer unique experiences and a better place for all those who live, work and visit the area. Check our Calendar of Events for all the events happening from Lackawanna through Angola.
- Annual Arts on Ridge Festival – 2019 Information coming soon! A festival of food, performances, and art along Ridge Rd. in Lackawanna
- Village of Hamburg self-guided historic walking tours
- Hamburg Farmers’ Market, est. 1977- see the tab under Explore the Region for more info! Open May-Oct at the Hamburg Moose Lodge
- Village of Hamburg annual Garden Walk (part of the National Garden Festival)
- Hamburg Music Festival
- Jam in the Village
- The Wine About and wine tastings
- Burgerfest, a celebration of the birthplace of the hamburger (3rd Saturday in July)
- Hamburg Farmers’ Market (Saturdays, May – October) Visit our webpage at the top of this page!
- Winter festivals and activities with Hamburgh Holidays
- Blast at the Beach! Always the last weekend in July at the Hamburg Town Beach – all are welcome residents & visitors on this day!
- Erie County 18 Mile Creek Park has plenty of areas for Hiking, Biking, Snowshoeing.
- Erie County Agricultural Society featuring year round events at the Events Center!
- Our Lady of Victory National Shrine and Basilica
- Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve offers an array of activities for people of all ages. From gazing at the planets on astronomy nights to digging for fossils with expert geologists. They hold special vents all throughout the summer months including summer camp!
- Live Concerts and movie nights, entertainment and nightlife.
Shopping, Eateries, Gardens, and more…
Whether you’re looking for local, independent shops and boutiques or the hustle and bustle of a commercial retail center, there is something for everyone! Enjoy a stroll down Main and Buffalo Streets in the Village of Hamburg to discover quaint local shops, or take a trip to the McKinley Mall for premier shopping with National Brands.
Are you a foodie? Do you like fine dining or casual? Need a caterer for your next event? From Lackawanna through Boston there are unique eateries that have everything from traditional cuisine to exotic and specialty dining. Click here for a list of restaurants or check out the Discover Hamburg Guide at the top of the page for a list with brief food descriptions and pricing.
Be sure to stop by and check out this beautiful monument located at Ron Jaworski Stadium on south Park Avenue In Lackawanna. There are over 1,500 names on this monument and room for many more. For more information on how a veteran can be listed click here or call the Chamber Office at 716-649-7917.
The Our Lady of Victory Basilica displays unparalleled architecture and is a Catholic parish church and national shrine in Lackawanna, NY. Due to the multiple charities of founder Father Nelson Baker, the shrine is a popular pilgrimage and visitor destination in Lackawanna. Enjoy gardens year-round in the specular Botanical Gardens. These gardens are the product of landscaping architect Frederick Law Olmsted, glass-house architects Lord & Burnham, and botanist and plant-explorer John F. Cowell.
Education & Training
For parents or future parents, education is an important consideration when choosing a home. Hamburg is proud to be home to three excellent school systems – Frontier and Hamburg public schools and St. Francis private high school for boys. In addition Lackawanna has multiple schools to accommodate cultural diversity, such as the Al-Rasheed Academy or check out the Lackawanna public school system.
We’re also home to Hilbert College, which conveniently hosts a variety of undergraduate programs, as well as, St. Bonaventure master’s degree programs.